WannaCry Ransomware is a recent malware threat that spreads quickly around the world. More than 230 000 computers were infected in just two days and this number is rising quickly. Do you know how to protect yourself against this threat? And what it does?
What does WannaCry Ransomware do?
WannaCry Ransomware is a type of malware that locks (encrypt) your files and hold them locked upon paying a “ransom” in the range of $300 – $1200. It is a classic functionality for this type of malware. The ransom is increasing with the time and infected computer can spread malicious links further.
It scans for vulnerable PCs on the network and attacks them once they are detected. The most attacked are PCs running Windows XP and Windows Vista which are not supported with Microsoft’s updates anymore.
10 Tips to fight WannaCry Ransomware
We have prepare several tips you can follow to stay safe against WannaCry ransomware:
- Do not open suspicious email attachments
- Always check for senders email address (it can be hiding behind genuine service and written with typo eg “[email protected]” or “[email protected]”
- Do not click on links you don’t trust
- Do not open emails from unknown senders
- Be extra careful with accepting invites for shared docs or photos (do not accept them if you don’ know the person)
- Update your operating system with latest patches
- Keep your programs updated
- Make sure you are using latest antivirus protection (choose from the known antivirus brands)
- Do not forward email messages with suspicious links
- Use Web reputation service to see reputation of links online (eg Avast Online Security plugin for Chrome)
What to do if you get infected with WannaCry Ransomware?
If you get infected, turn off your computer or disconnect from internet connection. At the moment, there are not any decryption tools.
Does your Antivirus (Avast, Avira, AVG and other protects you against Wanna Cry?
Yes, all major antivirus brands can stop WannaCry effectively.